The George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum holds about 30,000 audiovisual recordings.
Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience. Read more on how NARA is addressing COVID-19 (coronavirus) https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus
The George W. Bush Presidential Library holds approximately 30,000 audiovisual recordings, 227 cubic feet of photo negatives, and just over 3.8 million photographs created by the White House Photo Office.
A great many audiovisual materials are already in the public domain and available online.
Please note that the audiovisual archive of the George W. Bush Presidential Library only holds materials from President Bush's time in the White House. For information on gubernatorial audiovisual records, please contact the Texas State Library and Archives Commissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information on post-presidential audiovisual records, please contact the Office of George W. Bush at email@example.com. Requests for autographed photos should be directed to the Office.
Ordering High Resolution Images of Photographs and Other Audiovisual Materials
- Gather all available information about the image; and if possible, find the filename (the “P” number found in the caption or details).
- Provide a specific description of the image, video, or audio clip, including date, location, topic, and if possible, the URL for each web page that contains the requested material.
- Specify JPEG or TIFF for digital images; DVD, QuickTime, AVI, MPEG4, or other for video; and CD, MP3, WAV, or other format for audio.
- Email this information plus your name, phone number, email, mailing address, and format and delivery preferences to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- There is a small processing fee: Schedule of Fees for AV Reproduction
- Audiovisual materials at the George W. Bush Presidential Library are subject to the requirements of the Presidential Records Act and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).
- To request materials not currently in the public domain, you must submit a written FOIA request. For more information, visit How to Submit a FOIA Request.
- There is a small processing fee: Schedule of Fees for AV Reproduction. Payment may be made by credit card or check made out to “NATF.”
- Video and audio materials will be burned to a DVD/CD and mailed. Digital images may be sent via email, FTP, or burned to a DVD/CD and mailed.
- Allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery.
- Orders may be placed by email, telephone, fax, or mail.
Photograph Contact Sheets
Contact sheets have been created by George W. Bush Presidential Library staff to showcase photographs that have been processed and opened for research. These sheets can be used to request high resolution images of the photographs according to the process for requesting reproductions of audiovisual materials.
George W. Bush Presidential Library and Museum
2943 SMU Blvd, Dallas, TX 75205
Phone: 214-346-1656 Fax: 214-346-1558
Top of Page